MOH’s Surgery in Peabody, MA
MOH’s micrographic surgery is the most advanced, precise, and effective treatment for most skin cancer types. With the MOH’s technique, physicians can precisely identify and remove an entire tumor while preserving the surrounding healthy tissue in an outpatient office setting. Internal Medicine Physicians of the North Shore offers comprehensive dermatological care at their office in Peabody, MA. Our highly trained dermatologists are experts in performing MOH’s surgery. Call (978) 531-7677 to request an appointment at our office today!
What to Expect During MOH’s Surgery
The MOH’s procedure involves surgically removing skin cancer layer by layer and examining the tissue under a microscope until healthy, cancer-free tissue around the tumor is reached (called clear margins). Immediate and complete microscopic examination and evaluation of excised tissue during one office visit is what differentiates MOH’s surgery from other skin cancer removal procedures. The procedure is done in an outpatient setting under local anesthesia and therefore eliminates the risks and costs associated with general anesthesia. For more details on the step-by-step process you can visit the American College of MOH’s Surgery website.
Which Skin Cancers Are Best Treated With MOH’s
MOH’s surgery is most commonly used for basal cell and squamous cell carcinomas, although virtually any skin cancer can be treated with this technique. Mohs surgery is especially appropriate for skin cancers that:
- Develop on areas where preserving cosmetic appearance and function are important (i.e. head, face, neck, hands, feet and genitalia)
- Have recurred after previous treatment or are likely to recur
- Are located in scar tissue
- Are large
- Have edges that are ill-defined
- Grow rapidly/have aggressive pathology features
Advantages of MOH’s Surgery
MOH’s surgery provides several advantages for people with skin cancer:
- Ensuring complete cancer removal during surgery and providing the highest success rates compared to other treatments
- Preserving the surrounding healthy tissue
- Maximizing the functional and cosmetic outcome resulting from surgery
- Skin cancer removal, confirmation of negative margins and repairing the site of the cancer removal in the same day/office appointment, in most cases
- Minimizes the risk of recurrence and therefore reduces and frequently eliminates the costs of larger, more serious surgeries for recurrent skin cancers
Request an Appointment in Peabody
Please call (978) 531-7677 today if you wish to speak with a provider at Internal Medicine Physicians of the North Shore about a potential or known case of melanoma and how you can treat it!